スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #10 Joining Hands to Exchange Energy

We can now enjoy longevity as we live in the 100-year-life era.

People first worked to extend the average life expectancy, and then aimed for longer healthy life expectancy. I would say Japan has now entered the era aiming for longer “engage life expectancy.”

What is engage life expectancy? It is the period in which a person can contribute to society and others. Going beyond healthy life expectancy, it refers to how long we can be useful to society throughout our lives.

 

“We are offering free hand massages today. You’re welcome to try it.”

A receptionist told me when I visited a car dealership the other day. Lucky me! I instantly replied, “Yes, please!”

 

The massage space was set up in a corner of the showroom, with two massage therapists waiting for guests. The one on the right was a young, innocent-looking woman, carefully checking the cosmetic items she’d use for massaging. The one on the left was an older women, looking fully ready to serve and smiling at me.

Without hesitation, I headed straight to the lady on the left, who was wearing a name tag “Endo” on her chest.

“Nice to meet you.” After we exchanged greetings, Ms. Endo took my hand to check its overall stiffness. Next, she carefully examined its dryness, hangnails, and nail condition. Then, she put some cream on and gently started massaging, from my elbow to fingertips.

“You fingers are quite stiff. Maybe you use a computer at work? Massaging this part should work.” “You can’t see your own elbows, but they are surprisingly noticeable from behind. So you may want to take good care of them.” “Wow, your nails are so tiny and cute! But they look a little dry. You can apply hand cream to your nails too. That will give them shine.” She would give me a variety of advice in a positive tone and at the perfect timing.

 

“Ms. Endo. You’re so beautiful. You’ve been in this industry for long?” To my question, she replied with a smile: “Well, I’ve been here long enough because I’m the oldest, 78.” “Whaaaat?! Really? You look so young!” Watching my stunned face, she continued to share her story with a happy look on her face:

“I had long worked as a beauty advisor at the XX cosmetics company. Now, I work as a part-time visiting beauty advisor, traveling here and there like today. When I take customer’s hand and look at it, I can see how well or tired they are that day. I do my best to relax both their body and mind while speaking with them. I love looking at the customer’s face after the massage as they touch their much softer hands.” “I see. It’s like you’re exchanging energy.” To my comment, Ms. Endo beamed with joy like a flower “Wow, that’s a beautiful way to put it. You’re right. Exchanging energy from one hand to another.”

 



It must have been challenging for women of her age to continue working for a long time. And she still keeps working, though in a different style. The company must have played an essential role in supporting women’s work, but Ms. Endo may have also been one of the pioneers who have paved the path for women’s career advancement. Also, it had been a while since the last time I met a woman speaking beautiful Japanese like Ms. Endo.

After the hand massage, Ms. Endo worked efficiently and briskly while giving us a soft smile, as if saying:

“We can keep working for many years in such a beautiful, elegant, and graceful manner even if… no, BECAUSE we are women.”

<Written by Mamiko Kashima>

 

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Supporting my fav seniors #17 Getting a little revenge with Japanese New Year cuisine “Osechi Ryori”

  Mrs. A: “I should start buying ingredients for Osechi Ryori pretty soon. Stores must be crowded next weekend, and I’d rather avoid that.” Mrs. B: “Wow, you’re making Osechi yourself? That’s a lot of work to do. How nice of you! It that because you’re having a family gathering?”   Mrs. A: “No, we aren’t getting together. But my husband now has no one to visit and enjoy Osechi together for New Year. So I kind of feel sorry for him.” Mrs. B: “But it sounds like life is much easier now. You no longer need to visit your husband’s parents’ house, helping prepare Osechi and acting as “good daughter-in-law” every minute. What a relief! It must feel as if you were in heaven.”   I overheard this conversation with big laughs between two women, probably in their mid-70s, at the sauna of a local gym. They went on and on, talking about how painful it had been as daughter-in-law to visit the husband’s parents’ house for New Year.   While listening to this conversa...

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #12 Afraid of falling? Not to worry!

  In FY2024, about 11,200 people aged 65 or over died (indoor and outdoor) due to falling, more than five times as many as road traffic deaths (about 2,100). You can say the number is quite significant as a cause of deaths other than illness.   Number of deaths among people aged 65+ due to traffic accidents (blue) and falls (orange): 2024 Source: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2024 Vital Statistics (definite figures).   One day, as I got off an escalator at a station on my way home from work, I found an older man lying face down. People around him also noticed him and kept looking from a distance. It seemed like he tripped on the escalator and hit his face. His glasses were cracked, and blood was coming out of his forehead. His mouth was also cut. As I approached him to ask if he was all right, a young man, maybe in his 30s, smoothly came over and sat down in front of him. “Are you all right? Can you hear me? Does anything hurt?” The young man c...

推し活とプロダクティブ#17 お節料理という小さな「フクシュウ」

  A さん「そろそろお節の材料なんかの買い出しよね、来週末だと混みそうだし … 」 B さん「あら、お節をつくるの?面倒なのによくやるわね … 、家族が集まるから?」   A さん「集まらないんだけどね、うちの夫、お節を食べに行く先も無くなってかわいそうだから」 B さん「でも、楽になったわよね、大晦日から夫の実家に行ってお節を手伝って、気を遣って、それがないだけで天国よね」   と、スポーツクラブのサウナで目を合わせて大笑いするのは 70 代真ん中くらいの女子 2 人。 ここからはずっと、嫁として夫の実家に年末年始に行く辛さが語られていたのだけれど … 。   そんな会話に耳を傾けながら気になったのは、 A さんの言葉と表情のミスマッチ。 親がなくなり実家での集まりも消滅、年始の訪問先もなくなった夫のためにお節をつくるのが面倒と言いながらも、 A さんの表情は少し嬉しそうなのである。   夫の実家でいいお嫁さんをやるのがいかに大変だったか、 40 年頑張った自分を褒めたいというトークに耳を傾けながら、ミスマッチの背景を想像。 多分、定年退職してからは出る先や付き合いは家族がらみのみになった夫と、子育てが一段落し、仲間を増やしていく妻の組み合わせ。   今までは夫の実家で、お節を手伝い、気を遣うばかりだった自分にくらべ、お酒を飲み、なにも動かない夫にイライラしてきたけれど … 。 今になってみれば、自分は楽しんでいるけれど、夫はひとり家で過ごす毎日に、復讐とまでいかないけれど、少しだけニヤニヤしている?   これまでより時間も気持ちも余裕のある今、丁寧に作ったお節をだしながら感じるのは小さな優越感? いや〜、お節を誰かに作るというプロダクティブの裏にある悲喜交々、複雑だわ … 。   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 東海大学健康学部健康マネジメント学科 ウェルビーイングカレッジ 澤岡詩野( SHINO SAWAOKA ) jzt1864@tokai.ac.jp 健康学部公...