スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #4 Veggies at Minami

 Japan has 22,380 farm stands and farmers’ markets, with total annual sales reaching 1,087.9 billion yen, according to the 2022 Comprehensive Survey on the Sixth Industrialization by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. These places not only help increase producers’ income but also play a role as community hubs, enabling people to gather and socialize.

 

I live in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture, which is only 20 km from central Tokyo but has as many as 184 farm stands. A growing number of people in the city have given up their farmland for inheritance and other reasons, but many still keep working hard as farmers. Indeed, there are four or five farm stands within walking distance of my house.

My favorite stand is called “Minami,” located near a waste collection site and only a two-minute walk from my house, where you can buy a variety of vegetables and flowers with a 500-yen coin.

 


At Minami, our conversation would start with “Welcome!” by Auntie Setsuko, the owner of the stand, followed by something like:

“Good morning. What do you recommend today?”

“How can I cook this leafy green?”

“The veggies I bought the other day, they were sweet and delicious!”

Setsuko, aged around 80, has been through a lot, such as loss of her husband a few years ago, a severe burn, and cancer surgery. Despite all these and other challenges, she stays strong and keeps selling vegetables. Her son and his wife have taken over the farm work.

Setsuko isn’t the most friendly or efficient person in the world, but everybody loves Minami.

 

One of the reasons for Minami’s popularity may be the visibility of Setsuko’s farm from the street. We can watch her vegetables and flowers grow as we take trash to the collection site, where I often hear neighbors’ conversations like, “I can see her daikon radish is almost ready,” “I can’t wait to taste her taros,” and “What? She is growing cabbages?”

 

Even my father, aged 82 who can easily feel lost at supermarkets because they sell too many items, enjoys shopping at Minami. He would come home from Minami, saying with a joyful voice like, “I’ve got Chinese cabbage, just the right size for making pickles,” and “The Japanese green onions were really cheap. She even gave me overgrown cucumbers!”

 

The mother of my sister-in-law has moved to my neighborhood from Yamaguchi Prefecture, almost 1,000 km away, after her husband passed away. She knew no one in the community, but she goes to Minami all the time and has made friends with Setsuko, who often gives her extra vegetables and flowers. The mother-in-law seems to have gotten acquainted with other Minami customers, and now spends more time chatting with them when walking her dog.

 

We cook special New Year dishes in Japan, and some vegetables are essential for making these. As in the end of any other years, Auntie Setsuko’s stand was filled with these veggies, and we enjoyed conversations like:

“Satoimo taros are available till when?” “They’re all gone, but Yatsugashira taros are coming.”

“This Chinese cabbage is too big for us,” “Alright. Come back tomorrow, I’ll get you a smaller one.”

“I wish I had a little more Komatsuna green,” “Hold on a minute. I’ll have my son go to the field and pick some more.”

“I’d like to buy pansy plants,” “If you buy three, you get one free. Go to the field and pick whichever you like.”

 

The busiest time of the year for Minami is summer, the season for edamame beans and corn.

The stand opens at 9 a.m., but a long line is formed way before then, consisting of all kinds of people including moms with their kids in strollers, seniors in the neighborhood, dads who've rushed by bike to do the shopping for their wives, and small kids running errands by themselves. Everyone is covered in sweat in the heat with no shades.

While waiting for the opening, I can hear conversations among people in line:

“It’s really warm, isn’t it? I’ll keep your spot here, so why don’t you take your child to the shade?”

“I’ve brought a chair, so I’ll sit here.”

“I have a parasol, so let’s share the shade.”

“Hey kid, have this barley tea while waiting.”

“All I need is Setsuko’s edamame beans and corn to enjoy my beer!”

And then, a message starts coming from the front of the line: “Only three bags per customer today!”

Once the clock hits 9:00 a.m., the edamame beans and corn fly off the shelves. When they are almost gone, customers would consider others behind them to make sure they can buy the items as well, saying, “I’ll just take one bag today,” and “I’ll buy corn tomorrow.” Before they know it, those customers have become buddies who have endured the heat together.

 

Meanwhile, Auntie Setsuko has her hands full trying to manage the line. In her tiny stand, which can only take three people or so at a time, she has to serve these customers, handle cash (she only takes cash, of course), and calculate total prices in her head (she doesn’t have a cash register, of course) at the same time. Naturally, she can get a bit panicky once in a while.

But these customers are there to help her: “Auntie, the total is XX yen,” “He’s the next customer,” “You don’t have change? I have some, so I go first and you can use those coins for them.”

Everyone there is part of the business and the community.

 

The farm stand Minami is a place to sell vegetables, but it also lets us rediscover the joy of buying and selling items through conversation, and reminds us that all these people out there, from kids to seniors, are our neighbors.

This new informal hub is now helping us grow a loose network of neighbors.

Written by Mamiko Kashima

 

The map of 184 farm stands and farmers’ markets in Kawasaki City (in Japanese)

chokubai-map_2020728.pdf

 

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Supporting my fav seniors #17 Getting a little revenge with Japanese New Year cuisine “Osechi Ryori”

  Mrs. A: “I should start buying ingredients for Osechi Ryori pretty soon. Stores must be crowded next weekend, and I’d rather avoid that.” Mrs. B: “Wow, you’re making Osechi yourself? That’s a lot of work to do. How nice of you! It that because you’re having a family gathering?”   Mrs. A: “No, we aren’t getting together. But my husband now has no one to visit and enjoy Osechi together for New Year. So I kind of feel sorry for him.” Mrs. B: “But it sounds like life is much easier now. You no longer need to visit your husband’s parents’ house, helping prepare Osechi and acting as “good daughter-in-law” every minute. What a relief! It must feel as if you were in heaven.”   I overheard this conversation with big laughs between two women, probably in their mid-70s, at the sauna of a local gym. They went on and on, talking about how painful it had been as daughter-in-law to visit the husband’s parents’ house for New Year.   While listening to this conversa...

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #12 Afraid of falling? Not to worry!

  In FY2024, about 11,200 people aged 65 or over died (indoor and outdoor) due to falling, more than five times as many as road traffic deaths (about 2,100). You can say the number is quite significant as a cause of deaths other than illness.   Number of deaths among people aged 65+ due to traffic accidents (blue) and falls (orange): 2024 Source: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2024 Vital Statistics (definite figures).   One day, as I got off an escalator at a station on my way home from work, I found an older man lying face down. People around him also noticed him and kept looking from a distance. It seemed like he tripped on the escalator and hit his face. His glasses were cracked, and blood was coming out of his forehead. His mouth was also cut. As I approached him to ask if he was all right, a young man, maybe in his 30s, smoothly came over and sat down in front of him. “Are you all right? Can you hear me? Does anything hurt?” The young man c...

推し活とプロダクティブ#17 お節料理という小さな「フクシュウ」

  A さん「そろそろお節の材料なんかの買い出しよね、来週末だと混みそうだし … 」 B さん「あら、お節をつくるの?面倒なのによくやるわね … 、家族が集まるから?」   A さん「集まらないんだけどね、うちの夫、お節を食べに行く先も無くなってかわいそうだから」 B さん「でも、楽になったわよね、大晦日から夫の実家に行ってお節を手伝って、気を遣って、それがないだけで天国よね」   と、スポーツクラブのサウナで目を合わせて大笑いするのは 70 代真ん中くらいの女子 2 人。 ここからはずっと、嫁として夫の実家に年末年始に行く辛さが語られていたのだけれど … 。   そんな会話に耳を傾けながら気になったのは、 A さんの言葉と表情のミスマッチ。 親がなくなり実家での集まりも消滅、年始の訪問先もなくなった夫のためにお節をつくるのが面倒と言いながらも、 A さんの表情は少し嬉しそうなのである。   夫の実家でいいお嫁さんをやるのがいかに大変だったか、 40 年頑張った自分を褒めたいというトークに耳を傾けながら、ミスマッチの背景を想像。 多分、定年退職してからは出る先や付き合いは家族がらみのみになった夫と、子育てが一段落し、仲間を増やしていく妻の組み合わせ。   今までは夫の実家で、お節を手伝い、気を遣うばかりだった自分にくらべ、お酒を飲み、なにも動かない夫にイライラしてきたけれど … 。 今になってみれば、自分は楽しんでいるけれど、夫はひとり家で過ごす毎日に、復讐とまでいかないけれど、少しだけニヤニヤしている?   これまでより時間も気持ちも余裕のある今、丁寧に作ったお節をだしながら感じるのは小さな優越感? いや〜、お節を誰かに作るというプロダクティブの裏にある悲喜交々、複雑だわ … 。   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 東海大学健康学部健康マネジメント学科 ウェルビーイングカレッジ 澤岡詩野( SHINO SAWAOKA ) jzt1864@tokai.ac.jp 健康学部公...