スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #10 Finding Fireflies… and Passion



Many younger seniors stay active by playing various roles. But as they grow older, they tend to gradually stop engaging in activities.

According to a survey by the Cabinet Office, the most common reason for not wanting to participate in social activities among men aged 80+ was “I’m not confident in my health and stamina” (45.5%), followed by “I have no friends to participate with” (22.7%) and “I find socializing tiring” (19.7%)*.

As a person and his friends grow older, they may be losing confidence, facing the fact that they can no longer move around as they used to, both physically and mentally.

 

My father used to keep himself busy even after retirement, serving as president of a facility for people with disabilities, local welfare commissioner, officer of the neighborhood association and a senior citizens club, and many more. He had also traveled several times a year, such as shareholders’ trips and visits to a friend in a different prefecture.

But since my mother started needing care, he left all of these positions and stopped taking these trips.

It has been five years since the mother passed away, but he rarely goes out now, except for grocery shopping and doctor’s appointments.

Whenever I try to take him to dinner or lunch, he would just say, “I’m fine eating at home.” I almost need to drag him out. Going to a restaurant, looking at the menu, and choosing dishes seem to be too much for him.

When I encouraged him to go visit the friend again, he just gave me a half-hearted answer and never contacted the friend. He seemed to feel tired just by thinking about what he would need to do throughout the trip.

The other day, he walked to a nearby supermarket to buy bread, but came home also with the realization that he was losing his physical strength. I remember him muttering to himself: “I haven’t walked much lately. No wonder my legs are getting weaker.”

 

“How can I find a way to take him out?” As I struggled to find an answer, the TV showed images of fireflies several times in a row. The father asked me: “Hmm… are fireflies that beautiful?” What? He had never seen fireflies? I thought he must have because he had grown up in the countryside.

“Dad, fireflies are fantastic, fragile, and graceful beyond words. You can’t describe their beauty without actually seeing them. You should definitely see them at least once in a lifetime. Okay, let’s go see them!” I took action immediately.

 

“The best time to watch fireflies ends around mid-June in the Kanto region (where I live). A little humid, windless, sunny day is ideal.” That’s what I found through the internet search. The rainy season was about to start here in Kanto, so I got to hurry!

I’ve been to places like Shuzenji and Okutama, but they were too far for a day trip. Any places that’re closer? I searched, searched… and found it! Hana Biyori, the botanical garden next to the Yomiuri Land amusement park. The weather forecast said it would be cloudy on the weekend. Perfect! I got the tickets right away.

 

We first talked about the fireflies on June 3, got the tickets on the 5th, and went to Hana Biyori on the 7th. When I invite the father out, I need to be careful about its timing, not to be too early or too late. On the evening of the 5th, I told him after dinner when my younger brother, who would drive us to the garden, came over to the father’s house: “Next Saturday, all of us in the family will go watch fireflies. I’ve already got the tickets.”… He didn’t say, “I’m not going.”

 

On that Saturday, we finished dinner and left home at 7:00 p.m. It had been a while since the last time any of us went out in the evening. It’s kind of exciting, feeling like we’re bad boys and bad girls. On the way to the garden, we passed through the streets familiar to the father, such as his workplaces in school days and after graduation, which brought back memories and made him talkative in the car: “This place used to be XX,” “I used to come here all the time for work,” and “That intersection is also called XX.” He seemed to be enjoying both the scenery and talking.

 

We arrived a little earlier than the start time, so we decided to take a walk in the botanical garden and found a photo spot decorated with flowers and lights. On impulse, I said to the father, “Let’s take a picture!” Although he hated having his pictures taken, he agreed to do it, resulting in one of the very few precious pictures together.

 

Before we knew it, it was 8:30 p.m., the start time we booked for. We waited in line at the entrance.

As we walked slowly from the entrance of the firefly watching area, we soon started seeing faint lights flying around from the distant grass. With our eyes not quite adjusted to the darkness yet, we had to squint to see them at first. When the father spotted the very first real firefly, he didn’t seem too excited as it was too far: “Oh, there it is. It’s flying.” He stayed behind the other group members, watching the fireflies quietly.

 

But as we went further and further, we started seeing more fireflies. Their lights were flying left and right, up and down so close to us as if dancing.

“They light up when flying from one leaf to another,” “Wow, there’re three of them flying over there,” “Look, there’s one right here.” With his energy level gradually going up, the father started leaning forward into the grass to watch.

Then, a few fireflies flew so close to the father that they almost landed on his shoulder. “Wow, they’re here. This way, this way. They’re so cute, so beautiful.” He was totally enjoying himself.

We spent around an hour there, walking about 3 km up and down the gentle slopes in the dark guided by the fireflies. Although the father hadn’t done much exercise lately, he completed the 3-km walk as well.

On the way back, I thought the father would be so exhausted that he would sleep throughout the drive. I was so wrong. He couldn’t hold in his excitement and kept talking all the way. When we got home, he even told the cats, “Guess what, I saw fireflies!”

I was really glad I took him there.




 As people grow older, doing something tends to become a pain in the neck. They may feel like going there, seeing it, or eating that right at the moment. But as time passes, they would lose that energy and say, “Well, it’s too much. Why bother?” Maybe that is because they use up all their energy just by carrying out their daily routines. That is fine. Ordinary days are important. But once in a while, don’t they also need some excitement, something that gives them passion and lifts their spirits? It will definitely have some positive effects.

In my father’s case, the firefly watching let him walk 3 km, enjoy evening with his family, and create the unique and beautiful memory.

 

I’m not sure how many more years we have together, but I want to find what gives him passion through our conversations, make it come true, and sneak a peek at him whispering to the cats to share his delightful experience.


<Written by Mamiko Kashima>

 

*Note: Cabinet Office. “FY2021 Survey on the Elderly's Daily Lives and Participation in Local Communities.”

https://www8.cao.go.jp/kourei/ishiki/r03/zentai/pdf_index.html (in Japanese)

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Supporting my fav seniors #17 Getting a little revenge with Japanese New Year cuisine “Osechi Ryori”

  Mrs. A: “I should start buying ingredients for Osechi Ryori pretty soon. Stores must be crowded next weekend, and I’d rather avoid that.” Mrs. B: “Wow, you’re making Osechi yourself? That’s a lot of work to do. How nice of you! It that because you’re having a family gathering?”   Mrs. A: “No, we aren’t getting together. But my husband now has no one to visit and enjoy Osechi together for New Year. So I kind of feel sorry for him.” Mrs. B: “But it sounds like life is much easier now. You no longer need to visit your husband’s parents’ house, helping prepare Osechi and acting as “good daughter-in-law” every minute. What a relief! It must feel as if you were in heaven.”   I overheard this conversation with big laughs between two women, probably in their mid-70s, at the sauna of a local gym. They went on and on, talking about how painful it had been as daughter-in-law to visit the husband’s parents’ house for New Year.   While listening to this conversa...

Cutting-edge Daily Life of Elderly #12 Afraid of falling? Not to worry!

  In FY2024, about 11,200 people aged 65 or over died (indoor and outdoor) due to falling, more than five times as many as road traffic deaths (about 2,100). You can say the number is quite significant as a cause of deaths other than illness.   Number of deaths among people aged 65+ due to traffic accidents (blue) and falls (orange): 2024 Source: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2024 Vital Statistics (definite figures).   One day, as I got off an escalator at a station on my way home from work, I found an older man lying face down. People around him also noticed him and kept looking from a distance. It seemed like he tripped on the escalator and hit his face. His glasses were cracked, and blood was coming out of his forehead. His mouth was also cut. As I approached him to ask if he was all right, a young man, maybe in his 30s, smoothly came over and sat down in front of him. “Are you all right? Can you hear me? Does anything hurt?” The young man c...

推し活とプロダクティブ#17 お節料理という小さな「フクシュウ」

  A さん「そろそろお節の材料なんかの買い出しよね、来週末だと混みそうだし … 」 B さん「あら、お節をつくるの?面倒なのによくやるわね … 、家族が集まるから?」   A さん「集まらないんだけどね、うちの夫、お節を食べに行く先も無くなってかわいそうだから」 B さん「でも、楽になったわよね、大晦日から夫の実家に行ってお節を手伝って、気を遣って、それがないだけで天国よね」   と、スポーツクラブのサウナで目を合わせて大笑いするのは 70 代真ん中くらいの女子 2 人。 ここからはずっと、嫁として夫の実家に年末年始に行く辛さが語られていたのだけれど … 。   そんな会話に耳を傾けながら気になったのは、 A さんの言葉と表情のミスマッチ。 親がなくなり実家での集まりも消滅、年始の訪問先もなくなった夫のためにお節をつくるのが面倒と言いながらも、 A さんの表情は少し嬉しそうなのである。   夫の実家でいいお嫁さんをやるのがいかに大変だったか、 40 年頑張った自分を褒めたいというトークに耳を傾けながら、ミスマッチの背景を想像。 多分、定年退職してからは出る先や付き合いは家族がらみのみになった夫と、子育てが一段落し、仲間を増やしていく妻の組み合わせ。   今までは夫の実家で、お節を手伝い、気を遣うばかりだった自分にくらべ、お酒を飲み、なにも動かない夫にイライラしてきたけれど … 。 今になってみれば、自分は楽しんでいるけれど、夫はひとり家で過ごす毎日に、復讐とまでいかないけれど、少しだけニヤニヤしている?   これまでより時間も気持ちも余裕のある今、丁寧に作ったお節をだしながら感じるのは小さな優越感? いや〜、お節を誰かに作るというプロダクティブの裏にある悲喜交々、複雑だわ … 。   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 東海大学健康学部健康マネジメント学科 ウェルビーイングカレッジ 澤岡詩野( SHINO SAWAOKA ) jzt1864@tokai.ac.jp 健康学部公...